
We got pretty slap happy running on little sleep. Eli found out that you could call other seats with your own seat phone so we kept calling each other talking about how excited we were.

I've got to put more pictures of our fist impression of India but this is our first drive in daylight. It was so fascinating. All my scenes were were going crazy.
We were on our way to a colony where the leprosy affected live. They are considered untouchables so they are placed in different colonies made specifically for them. Our first stop. This woman was the happiest and most friendly lady. She is no bigger than a minute but was so full of personality. When she spoke she had everyone's attention!
She wasn't shy. She wanted pictures with everyone. I love this one because she even makes Julie took big. I thought that was impossible!
Then we got to the school and met the kids. Wow! What beautiful kids. So full of light. We brought a letter from her sponsor who just so happens to be Charity, Noah's sister. She volunteered there last summer and told us who to look for. They were ecstatic to hear from her.
When Talmadge and Anita were there they helped set us up with an angel to sponsor. Her name is Vanamalar. It was exciting to meet her. She is a sweetheart.




We got to eat lunch with them.



We got to follow up on the brilliant star store Talmadge and Anita started when they were there.


And this is the incredible computer lab Noah and Eli installed Imagine Learning into. Julie and I got to be there to help as well and see the excitement on the teachers and students faces.
Training.


This is a dance some of the kids were working on for a big event they had coming up. I love the enthusiasm on some of their faces. It is so neat to see because each of these kids has a story to tell.
One day we went into the village near by and met some of the people. The girls on the back of the bike are 2 of the 5 kids of a family that lives there at the school and directs the comings and goings. They are an amazing family!
This is inside the house of one of the employees of the school, Myra. Her kitchen is the dirt pile on the left, her husband's room is the bed on the right, the cow's room is next to his and she sleeps on the floor in a different room next to the kids. She was so proud to show us her "super" house! It was "super!"
Back at the school the kids were practicing for a parents day activity.
We got to go into the colonies with the medical team and clean the wounds of the leprosy affected. Wow! It brought a whole new meaning to people living with leprosy.




This is one of the house mothers. They each take care of 20 girls or boys. They were giving us a tour of their rooms. 20 girls sleep in 3 rooms!
And there are their shoes that they hardly wear. And they just pick a pair and hope it fits!
We saw these two walking to school one morning. They are brothers who don't live on campus.
I love this picture. So tender. Notice their shoes!
Padmini is the cook. For everyone. Students, house moms, volunteers, everyone. She is amazing. Each night she made us volunteers dinner and we ate it on the roof on a banana leaf. Yumm it was good.
Checking for lice!
Nightly prayer meeting.
Oh, we have about a thousand more pictures to put up. It is impossible to capture it all. I am so grateful to Imagine Learning for donating the program and to RSO for letting us come, and to Charity for watching our kids while we were gone, and to Eyrealm for helping us get there, and to every volunteer who helps with causes like these. There is much to do in the world!
10 comments:
Kristi, The picture of you cleansing the girls foot reminds me of Christ cleansing the feet of the Apostles. Such a touching story and picture. I have always wanted to do what you guys did. I am so excited that such a great person and family (you) were able to help and be touched by the precious Indian children.
Amazing! What an experience! Y'all are incredible...so lucky to be related to ya! Love you
I kinda got a little choked up watching you wash that lady's feet. Someone gave a really good talk on charity and talked about washing people's feet. And then that picture of those two brothers walking with their arms around each other and no shoes! OH!! What an experience to be there! I'm so proud of you!
you went wild on the blogging kris! I love it. love rso, love india, love imagine learning, love that I got to be with your kids while you were there. good stuff. miss you guys already, come up for conference! i offer a free, comprehensive tour of San Fran!
WOW it's so fun to see so many of those kids and people in the colonies again. You just can't appreciate what you're seeing until you get home and study the pictures, the expressions, the buildings, the poverty, the happiness. It's truly life-changing!
Love these fabulous posts. It won't let me comment on some of them for some reason but I got it all. Loved the free-way!
The kids are fabulous!
P.S. We showed this to the Shumway kids tonight at dinner and they were amazed!
Amazing Kristi! So grateful to read about the lives of these beautiful kids. Are they all on intensive medical treatments? Now I'm waiting for you and Noah to head to Cambodia, Vietnam, and rural areas of China...
xo Di
I love this. You guys are amazing. Love ya
WOW! I've been waiting for India posts. I'm so excited to see all these amazing posts and hear more about the adventures. I'm so happy you guys got to have htat amazing experience.
I loved reading about this, something that we've always wanted to do. that's so great you got to have this experience. I also want to say keep blogging even if you think you're not a great writer! I am so so grateful that i have been doing it because i forget so fast the fun stuff that we do as a family. i love that picture of lyla in your latest post, you guys have such beautiful kids! We miss you!!
Post a Comment