September 29, 2010

"Loser"

McKay usually conducts Family Home Evening every week and gets more creative at it as he goes. He assigned the song and prayer on Monday by using eenee-meenee-my-nee-moe and as we were singing he would orchestrate who was to come in and out of the song. He informed us before it started that he was in charge of the activity and that he was going to teach us how to become invisible. He was very animated about it all. Then the lesson came. Last week he told me that someone at school called him "a loser." It broke my heart. So Noah shaped the lesson around how to act in tough situations. He asked "McKay, what did your friend call you in class the other day?"

He slouched a little and squirmed in his spiderman chair and said, "Oh, she called me a loser."

I began to tear up.

Then Noah continued, "What did you say back to her?"

"Well, I said no I'm funny and then she said 'no you're a loser' then I said no I'm funny and she said 'no you're a loser' and i said no I'm funny and it went like that over and over and over again."

"Ok then what did you do?"

"Well, I just forgave her."

"That's very good McKay. Sometimes people say mean things because they need a friend. So you should be especially nice to those people."

" Yeah, I think she called me that because she thinks I lose things a lot!"

Noah wisely chose not to explain what she might have meant. McKay is an optimistic little boy and man we love that about him!

8 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Oh my gosh Kristi. I'm so friggin scared for my girls to go to school. McKay is such a sweet little thing. He looks so big in this picture!

shannon said...

I love that little man!
I was tearing up too.
I had to read that post to Todd!!
We love you McKay!!!
Xoxo

Sherry said...

I've been telling everyone this story since you told me it the other day. What a sweet boy he is. I love him so much! I can't wait to squeeze you all TOMORROW!!! Love you.

Stephanie said...

That is such a precious story! It shows his innosence that he has in not knowing what a "looser" really is and also the heart he has in just forgiving her. He must have great parents:)

Linda said...

What an absolutely fabulous story! I just read this to Rick and he said, "Wow, that Kristi is really a great writer!" My sentiments exactly! This is a classic!

Hug that cute boy for us!

Katherine Young said...

break my freakin heart!!! i am a little fearful i will be one of those parents who cant contain themselves and beats up the mean kids at school. haha. i love how you guys brought it into FHE, what good parents. he is adorable in that picture.

Shawni said...

Oh man, Kristi, that makes my heart hurt. I get so worked up about stuff like that and it's so tough to send out kids into situations like that. But of course, it sure sounds like that little McKay knows how to handle himself!

I'm thinking about you guys so much lately. I'm sure it's crazy right now getting ready for big changes. Know we are thinking of you.

And THANK YOU so much for calling Lucy on her birthday. She was so happy listening to the message I put on speaker phone from the front seat of the car. She waved at the phone and said "thank you" with a big smile spread across her face.

Love you guys!

Joan said...

Give me the name of that girl and I'll kick her booty! :)
McKay is an angel boy. I wish I could protect his tender heart from all the mean kids in the world.