April 11, 2011

A night out on our spring break

Last week Noah went to Chile for a few days and then flew back to San Diego to spend the rest of the week down there for a conference. We were anxious to see him and he was anxious to see us. So we drove down to San Diego to go with him to an event at one of the schools he works with and stayed for a night with him in his hotel room. It was a lot of fun but it was a looo-oh-oong night. This is how our night/day went.

3:30pm- Get off the phone with Noah requesting for us to meet him in South County San Diego by 6pm.

4:30-Wrestle the kids into their car seats with our things thrown in a bag (after going back-and-forth a few dozen times) and pull out of the drive way.

6:00pm- Arrive (right on time) at the school "Garden Party." We thought it was similar to a school's carnival so we dressed very casually and brought all 3 kids. I was in flip flops and the kids were in dirty clothes with lunch still smeared on their faces and Cubby reeked of spit up (which resembles throw up more and more these days). Luckily I forgot to bring Noah a t-shirt and he had his work clothes on or we may not have gone in. The Garden Party was a dinner/fundraiser for the first garden at a school in all of Chula Vista. Everyone was in slacks and dresses! I was a little relieved to see a few kids there but they of course were older and in their Sunday best. The Superintendent was there along with the mayor and many more supporters for the school. There were at least 100 people there. I was mortified!

7:00pm- Bedtime for the kids. Still at the party. I tried to camouflage the kids and myself in the back but no can do. Noah insisted on introducing us to everyone he knew and of course we stayed until the bitter end. I started cleaning up with the clean up crew.

8:00ish pm- Brinking on the bitter end. Try to convince our kids to put down the hordes of cupcakes they were diving into and head out to the car to get to the hotel.

8:30pm- Pull up to the hotel in 2 cars. Valet style but of course we don't want to pay for the valet. So the kids and I sit and wait while we block traffic and wait for Noah to check in.

9:02pm- Noah comes out and says he's been trying to convince them to lower the self parking price. $22 per car!! per day! What?! We got a steal of a deal on the room but definitely not one on parking! That's just awful!

9:07pm- We self park into the valet parking lot. get stopped and corrected. we turn around.

9:17pm- Safely make it into a parking space and juggle our belongings and our kids into the room. On their sugar high.

9:45ish pm- PJs are on. Baby is on a bed we made for him on the closet floor hoping he wouldn't slide the doors open all night and crawl out. Other two kids finished bouncing on the bed and are trying to fall asleep.

9:46pm- Lights out. Noah and I are tiptoeing in the dark trying to find our own PJs, brush our teeth, etc. without revving up the kids again. Baby tapping on the closet door.

9:59pm- Our date night was sitting in the bathroom whisper-talking about what's been happening since he's been gone.

11:08pm- Head to bed. My mind is racing. I can't get it to turn off or even slow down for another couple of hours. The baby still occasionally tapping on the closet doors.

12:51am- Last time I checked the clock. Must have faded shortly after.

2:04am- Baby whimpering and tapping. I lay awake hoping he'll fade back to sleep, needing to go to the bathroom but don't dare because I don't want to stir the baby or wake anyone else up.

2:16am- Noah hears the baby and wakes up. He gets right up and heads straight for the bathroom. I panic!

2:16am- He turns on the bathroom light! What!?!

2:17am- Flush! Ahhhh!

My heart is pounding.

2:18am- Noah is back asleep and miraculously none of the kids are awake. Phew!!

My heart still pounding.

2:32am- I'm finally fast asleep.

3:58am- Fire alarm goes off!!!!! Flashing lights and everything!! I burst the covers off in a panic! Run to the door and see that all the alarms are going off! Noah's is up pacing! McKay is up and scared! Cubby is crying! and Lyla is in a deep deep sleep!

4:00am- Hotel false alarm announcement. Alarms still going off. Another announcement. Alarms. Announcement. Alarms. Lyla still sleeping!

4:07am- Alarms and announcements cease. McKay is back asleep. Baby is calm and falling asleep. Lyla is still asleep.

4:08am- Noah and I look at each other and start laughing our heads off as quietly as we can. Man it's hard to keep quiet when your laughing like that!

4:11am- I nudge Noah and ask if he thinks Lyla could fall out of the bed. He says no. She'll be fine.

I dosed off sometime after that.

5:03am- Lyla falls out of the bed! She is crying. Noah and I jump up and Noah puts her back in bed.

6:30am- Sunrise. Kids are jumping on our bed ready to welcome the day!

This is us at a breakfast place that morning...We just went in our PJs!


5 comments:

charity eyre wright said...

I am giggling in bed - this is really funny kristi. come visit me!!!!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

haha!!!! We've had a night or two like that at hotels before. They make the best memories, right?!!

richard said...

I am laughing in my den.

Kristi, you should be a comedy writer!

Allie said...

This is hilarious, and I can SOOOO relate to laying there with my heart ponding, meanwhile Sean can get up and lay back down and fall right back asleep! I love how you were asking Noah if he thought Lyla would fall out of the bed right before she did! Isn't amazing what we can think "might" happen in the middle of the night instead of sleeping and not having a care in the world like our hubbies!

Linda said...

HILARIOUS! Rick wouldn't let me leave for the grocery store until I read this. I LOVE IT! We've SO been there!

Sometimes nothing is funnier that real life!