Well, here we are at the Westervelt Laundromat in Staten Island about two blocks from our
sweet attic. For September, we live here on the top floor of a really cool old house that may fall down tomorrow. We are loving the adventure of it and the opportunity to actually hear the crickets at night but we’re pretty excited to get back to Manhattan next month. They have really special t-shirts here at the Laundromat that I can’t resist buying so we’ll have to attach a picture of it. The Staten Island ferry is so cool; it just gives you a great chance to breathe in some good air and see the statue of liberty up close. The past two nights, we’ve come back from Manhattan right at sunset and it has been romantic and spectacular. We are just a 12 minute walk from the ferry
terminal and the ferry takes about 25 minutes to Manhattan.Yes I am especially excited to get…somewhere for longer than a month. We are still looking for a place for October but something will work out. By the way, Noah defines optimism. I am so lucky to have him around. This place is NOT the one I described in an earlier email. This is much bigger so McKay has plenty of space to move around and boy is he ever (moving around). He crawls all over the place and when he finds something to hold onto he pulls himself up and walks along whatever he can a vx iuiu aZ. For example, he just made his way over here to type you guys that message. I’m pretty sure that means “I love you all, come see me!” When we are on the computer he feels like he needs to be too. Oh he is so cute you guys! When we are standing he’ll crawl to us then grab our legs stand up and wait for us to walk and he walks right along with us, until he finds something more interesting. In that case he lets go, plops on the
floor and stays self entertained until we walk by again. Today he learned to stand up in his crib. How does he do that? I don’t know. When he wakes up he’s right there waiting for us. ALSO- He is getting his first tooth! It looks like it’s going to be the size of one of mine. When we can really tell we’ll send a picture. Maybe I’ll be surprised. It’s his top left one.I love these two boys. They make life so rich!
The new calling is.. oh “Always be my Baby” by Mariah Carrey just came on and it just compounded the joyful feeling I have for this awesome Laundromat.
Now... the new calling has been going very well. Kristi and I are learning a lot. I LOVE bishop Buckner and Mark Rasmussen the other counselor and the ward is just AWESOME. This past Sunday I had the opportunity to meet a really cool guy working hard to make his way back to activity in the church and Kristi and I had a really good disussion with a guy named Gary who is investigating the church. He is amazing. He’s always saying things like “with the way things are in this world, I just can’t believe that a God who loves us so much would not send prophets again.” He has grown up a devout Catholic and just had some serious questions about God’s authority and about what happens with all the great people who never get a chance in this life to hear about Christ. He reminds me of Wilford Woodruff.
I have the opportunity to work with certain organizations (activities, FHE, music, and new move-ins) and I am still feeling very overwhelmed by the calling but very grateful at the same time. There are some real challenges here in this great city and in a way, especially for single people.
Kristi and I have been meeting up at 5 every day in Manhattan and it has been so fun. One day we went to this park downtown where they were doing a huge activity “to promote the game of tennis.” They had the US Open playing on a huge screen and these cool activities where you
could clock the speed of your serve (check out the form and the speed in that picture!) and a cool tennis backboard game. On the 11th, we met at ground zero and saw some really neat displays and pictures there. So many people were gathered to commemorate that day. It is unbelievable what happened. Really, the experience was moving; there was certainly a sense of resolve in the people throughout the city to learn from what happened and to become better people. Amazing how such unspeakable tragedy can bring much good. Another of the days, we met up at this cool grocery store called Trader Joes.McKay is absolutely amazing. Every time I look
at him it just kills me. He is always doing something so awesome. His nature is just so magnificent. He got a tooth!!!!!! He is crawling like a champ (check him out), especially if he is hungry and he sees Kristi. He is also very good at pulling himself up at your legs and then walking along with you as he holds onto the pants. He just smiles like crazy.LOve you all!
- N,K,M
2 comments:
Thanks for this great look at your life all around the big city. Thank you for sharing pictures of and expressions from McKay. I really liked the backpack photo. Look forward to more information from you and especially about McKay's dental development and progress reports on his perambulation.
No way---I found your blog from Shannon's posts! It was fun getting here and seeing your cute family...and my cute aunt and uncle! Love ya- Andrea
Post a Comment